You can also search for the answer in the Knowledge Base which helps you solve any problem of DVD copy.
Generally, the different amounts of data that can be stored on a DVD depend on the following factors:
1. Single-sided, single-layered can hold 4.7 GB (gigabytes) of data
2. Single-sided, double-layered can hold 8.5 GB
3. Double-sided, single-layered can hold 9.4 GB
4. Double-sided, double-layered can hold 17 GB
The basic types of DVD are referred to by a rough approximation of their capacity in gigabytes. In draft versions of the specification, DVD-5 indeed held five gigabytes, but some parameters had to be changed later on to address technical challenges, so the capacity decreased.
Basic types of DVD are rough approximation ability in gigabytes. In the draft version of the specification, DVD-5 can store five gigabytes, but some parameters changed later, processing technology challenges, so the ability.
The 12 cm type is a standard DVD, and the 8 cm variety is known as a mini-DVD. These are the same sizes as a standard CD and a mini-CD, respectively. The capacity by surface (MiB/cm²) varies from 6.92MiB/cm² in the DVD-1 to 18.0 MiB/cm² in the DVD-18.
Note: As with hard disk drives, in the DVD realm gigabyte and the symbol GB are usually used in the SI sense, i.e. 109 (or 1,000,000,000) bytes. For distinction, gibibyte uses symbol GiB, i.e. 230 (or 1,073,741,824) bytes. Most computer operating systems display file sizes in gibibytes, mebibytes and kibibytes labeled as gigabyte, megabyte and kilobyte respectively.
Each DVD sector contains 2418 bytes of data, 2048 bytes of which are user data.
- Why do a lot of new DVD releases now claim to be "Copy Protected"?
- DVD copy protection history
- Non-standardized DVD formats
- DVD-9 and DVD-5
- DVD-R vs. DVD+R
- How to Identify Pirated DVDs
- DVD-related Issues
- DVD Technology
- The representation of the three letters DVD
- DVD General Knowledge
- DVD Development History
- What's a hybrid DVD?
- What's the difference between first, second, and third generation DVD?
- The Available DVD Titles